Friday 2 March 2012

Please sponsor my half-marathon for Cancer Research UK

This year I will be running a half-marathon and aiming to raise £2000 for Cancer Research UK. This is enough to sequence a Cancer genome which many of you will know is something we are doing in my lab. CRUK spent £332M in 2011 on Cancer research.

I'd like to ask readers of this blog to give generously by visiting my fundraising page.

The Core-Genomics blog got almost 9000 page-views last month so that is only about £0.25p per read to raise £2000!






If you prefer to donate by sequencing cancer genomes for CRUK directly then let me know and we'll try to work out the best way of getting this done.

I am aiming to run in 2h30m which is about as long as it would take to sequence 30bp on the MiSeq in my lab. Each £1 raised will sequence about 60Mb on the HiSeq sequencer we use for Cancer genomes and £15 will buy 1Gb.

The race is on March 11th and I'll keep an eye out for faces in the crowd and I know some of you will be running alongside me (for a while at least). Thanks for your support and please do feel free to pass this along to anyone you think would be happy to sponsor my run for CRUK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.